The Oslo City Council decided in 2010 that the Oslo-road/ Bishop-road crossing in The Old City should be re-established as Oslo Borough Market. Until recently this was the most busy crossing in the city, and due to the decision traffic had to be directed out of the area.
The lively trade was the basis for nine churches and four monasteries. All the main monastic orders were represented. Monks from England established the first on the ground of the only St.Edmund church outside England. The Nonneseter monastry, for women, was the richest.
Oslo was a rich city before and after Harald Hardråde came from Bysantz to unite England, Denmark and Norway into one kingdom, a dream that was killed at Stanford Bridge in 1066. The Oslo Borough Market was a political centre, between the king’s castle and the Bishop’s castel for more then six hundred years.
The task is now to re-establish the Oslo Borough Market in the Old City and make it live again as a public place. Most of the traffic has been removed, We have a model of a statue of king Håkon V and queen Eufemia that could be raised as a kind of invitation to a restored market place, and need financial support from public and private sources to bring the site back to people’ memory.