Odos Ermou Sokağı/Hermes Street runs from the North end of Ledra Street and into Ektoros Street in the East. It was once the Pedieos river until the Venetian rulers of the day diverted the route of the river outside the walls, as they felt it was a liability in case of an Ottoman attack. During the Ottoman period, the dried river bed became a dumping place for the city’s garbage and hence a source of stench and epidemics. When the British arrived in 1878, there was parallel to the riverbed a narrow street with no surface, only earth, and it was called Manifatura Street. Ermou eventually became a major commercial hub that contained businesses from diverse communities, Greek Cypriots, Turkish Cypriots and other Cypriot ethnic groups (such as Maronites and Latins). It was indeed one of the few ethnically mixed areas of Nicosia, which otherwise had the Ottoman mahalle structure of general ethnically segregated neighbourhoods. A major part of the street now lies within the UN-controlled Buffer Zone, transformed from a space of cooperation and coexistence into a line of division. This was the beginning of the end of Ermou St, which has since become a no-man's land that has divided the island since 1974. Our intention is that conferences such as this proposed will highlight that this important street and area can be used for cooperation and not division.