Linlithgow Canal Centre

Linlithgow Canal Centre, Manse Road Basin, Linlithgow, EH49 6AJ
Show on the map
11 - 12 September 2021

11 September 2021 (1.30pm until 4.30pm) 12 September 2021 (1.30pm until
4.30pm) West Lothian This is an opportunity to visit the Canal Museum,
tearoom, yard and wharf, also the workshop of the Linlithgow Union Canal
Society and the Mel Gray Education Centre. Built c. 1820s (probably Hugh
Baird, Canal Engineer), a visit to the Canal Centre as a whole (Category C
Listed) recalls the heyday of the Union waterway (Edinburgh-Falkirk), not yet
challenged by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway (1842). The Canal Centre is a
simple vernacular building, originally two stables to the east end and two
cottages at west end, and is an important surviving part of the infrastructure
of Scotland's last major canal. The Museum is recognised by Scottish
Government and remains Scotland's only specific canal museum. Facilities
Disabled Access Disabled WC WC Refreshments Access - space is limited as the
Museum is small and access is subject to any remaining Covid guidelines. Car
parking - parking is very limited and whilst there is one disabled space, cars
should remain away from the basin in the surrounding streets. Boat trips -
public boat "town" trips which go out for half an hour every half hour are not
part of the Doors Open Days event and need to be booked separately and paid
for. A member of LUCS will host visitors at the Museum and answer queries or
Architect: Probably Hugh Baird, Canal Engineer Building Date:
1820s Pre-booking not required

Linlithgow Canal Centre, Manse Road Basin, Linlithgow, EH49 6AJ

55.9749447, -3.5979497