St. Andrew's Cathedral

Event
168 Clyde Street, Glasgow, G1 4ER
Show on the map
18 - 19 September 2021
Overview

18 September 2021 (10:30-1 & 2-4pm) 19 September 2021 (1:30-4) Glasgow Doors
Open Days Festival St Andrew's Cathedral is a neo-perpendicular rectangular
plan church, built of cream ashlar sandstone. The parish dates from 1795, in
the Calton district. The Calton chapel was built in 1797, when Rev John
Farquharson was priest in charge of Glasgow. It could hold 600 people but it
soon became too small. The city offered a site in Kent Street for a new
Catholic chapel. However, situated west of the Town’s Hospital, Scott Son and
Lawrie’s woodyard in Great Clyde Street was bought, and building of a larger
chapel (St Andrew's ) began in June 1814. The priest then in charge was Rev
Andrew Scott. Its interior features central and side aisles; ornate ceiling
bosses; marble reredos, altar, and baptismal font; modern tripartite screen
containing etched glazing of papal and episcopal coats of arms. The episcopal
coats of arms continue the series begun in the stained-glass windows. There
are also the Lady, and Blessed Sacrament, chapels; mosaics and paintings;
processional doors and the adjacent Cloister Garden. No booking required!
Facilities Disabled Access
Key Information

Address
168 Clyde Street, Glasgow, G1 4ER

55.8551338, -4.2526683